WHEN THE ANSWERS WON'T COME

Five and a half months ago, I ran my third marathon. Two months ago, I was running five to six miles a day.  
And now? I haven’t run in 39 days under doctor’s orders (not that I’m counting or anything).  
Late in February, due to lingering chest soreness exacerbated by the high intensity of running, my doctor told me to stop running until such time as a cardiologist could determine what might be wrong with my heart.  
And here we are, the first day of April, and I still know very little about what might be causing the problem. I still am not running, and I still have very few, if any, definitive answers. 
Just being real, at this stage it is not the idea there might be a problem that I am wrestling with. It’s the not knowing I am fighting with. I know my health in God’s hands, I just find myself more and more praying to know something 
But as I was praying for answers this morning, the Lord reminded me of what complete trust in His plan means.  
It means not only trusting Him for what the answers are in the midst of trial, but trusting Him for when the answers come. 
The Lord says in Isaiah 55:9, “’For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your way and my thoughts higher than your thoughts.’” 
Patience in the midst of adversity and uncertainty is not a human strong suit, perhaps me least of all. Even Job, though he ultimately remained faithful to the Lord’s plan, had to be put in his place by a sovereign God who reminded Job sternly that He was in control of all things, including the confines of time. 
We live in a world where instant answers are at our fingertips. If we want to know something now, we Google it or ask Alexa. And I think sometimes it frustrates us that God’s plan does not work the same way.  
But if we go back to Isaiah 55, He reminds us that His timing, though never instant, and requiring great faith and patience, is not arbitrary, but always meant for the ultimate good of those who will trust Him completely. 
“’The rain and snow come down from the heavens     and stay on the ground to water the earth. They cause the grain to grow,     producing seed for the farmer     and bread for the hungry. It is the same with my word.     I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to,     and it will prosper everywhere I send it. You will live in joy and peace.     The mountains and hills will burst into song,     and the trees of the field will clap their hands! Where once there were thorns, cypress trees will grow.     Where nettles grew, myrtles will sprout up. These events will bring great honor to the Lord’s name;     they will be an everlasting sign of his power and love.’” (v. 9-13) 
Let’s be clear. This does not mean the answers we get will be the answers we want. It also does not mean the answers will come when we want or expect them.  
Instead, the hope he offers in trusting His plan – and His timing – is an eternal one. Though it is often hard to see through the chaos of the storm, the Lord’s promise is that He is always faithful, and will never abandon those who trust Him.  
Are you struggling waiting for answers? Don’t know why or where God is going? 
Do not lose heart, do not lose hope, and keep pressing on. 
The Lord who holds time in His hands still wants you to reach out yours to Him so He can bring you through the storm. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

40 Days of Healing - Day 3 - March 8, 2019

MAKE YOUR DAYS COUNT

FINDING LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS - RACE REFLECTIONS