MERCIES IN THE MORNING

"Thus says the Lord: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:23-24, ESV 
Read: Psalm 34 
This year has been 20 years since I walked across the stage and received my high school diploma. Often when I reflect on the intervening years from then to now, it seems a wonder I am still here to write these words. 
Countless times, I strayed. I sought fulfillment and approval in anything but God. I tried to take the easy roads, but the easy roads have always left me stranded in the middle of nowhere, searching for a way back home. 
I look back and I see a rocky trail of brokenness and tears, of burnt bridges and washed out roads. When I look at the road behind me, the sky above rages with the stormy skies I often chose for myself, and the ground is covered with the blood and mud from the all the times I have stumbled and fallen. 
Like David, I look back and see nothing to boast about of my own accord. 
Plainly and simply, the only reason I can write these words to day is the hope of God found grace and mercy of Jesus Christ. 
Mercy – it's a huge word – huge because it looms so large in my life. 
My life is a story of underserved mercies, of second chances I know were not warranted. When I reminisce, I shudder, because without the Lord's mercy, I know the trajectory of my life was headed in a far different direction – a direction of destruction. 
And it is this mercy that causes me to praise the Lord all the more.  
Whatever I good I have, whatever blessings I possess, they are simply because of the steadfast love of a merciful God who never forsook me, even in my darkest hours. Whenever the floodwaters would be ready to sweep me way, His hand was there to pull me out. 
And so, this blessed morning, I boast of the Lord who saves. He finds the lost, he rescues those who are drowning in sin and despair. He truly does place our feet on solid ground when we have none else to stand on. 
This beautiful new morning, I will sing to the glory of the Lord, because in Him alone lays my hope and my salvation! 
Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for saving me when I could not save myself. Thank you for meeting me on the broken road, and being my refuge in the storm. May my boast not be in anything but You, and all that You have done to save me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAKE YOUR DAYS COUNT

FINDING LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS - RACE REFLECTIONS

THE JAVA FOR OUR SPIRITS