LIGHT IN THE DARKEST HOUR

Read: Romans 8:31-39 
"When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: 
'Death is swallowed up in victory.' 'O death, where is your victory?     O death, where is your sting?'" 1 Cornthians 15:54-55 ESV 
A local 14 year old young man passed away a couple days ago of cancer, and I am sitting here at 5:30 in the morning just trying to figure out how to process it. 
Right now, there's a million thoughts going through my mind all at once. The young man had battled the disease for somewhere around nine years, or the bulk of his young life. 
I did not really know this young man personally, but I have a lot of friends who did. His inspirational fight with cancer over a period of years had touched countless hearts locally, mine included. As a parent, I cannot fathom the heartbreak of having to watch my child endure such pain. My heart is in pieces at the idea that there are any children, and any parents, that must face this struggle. 
Though my heart is in great despair for this young life lost, it also causes me to treasure each day – no, each moment – with my own daughter that much more. We can never predict what will happen in this life, and when a particular day will be our last, and as such, can never take a second God gives us on this earth for granted. 
I know it sounds cliché - there are hundreds of them running through my mind right now – but such tragic events should always serve to remind each of us not to waste a day that we are given on this earth. It ought to remind us to say "I love you" - and demonstrate it to the fullest – as often as we can, as many times a day as we can. 
It reminds me that life is too short for hate and bitterness. I do not have enough time here to waste any of it holding a grudge toward anyone. My heart ought to overflow with forgiveness. There is too much pain in this world already for me to allow anger to rule my heart for even a moment. 
Instead, I ought to spend each day the Lord gives me doing whatever is in my power to bring love and hope to this dark world. I want to leave every life I touch just a little bit brighter but sharing even a piece of the love, kindness and grace that the Lord has shown me. 
We are all put on this earth to ease the burdens of the suffering, not to add to those burdens. I ask myself, then, what am I doing everyday to ease the burden of pain in my home, in my community, and in the world in which I live?  
It reminds me, too, that nothing is stronger than the power of God's love. Even in death, this young man never let go of the hope of Jesus. Though he has passed, to joy, hope and determination he lived his life with lives on in the hearts of those countless hearts he touched. Because there is nothing powerful enough in this world to kill hope. 
I do not have the answers as to why these things happen. I am not nearly wise enough to understand God's plan. 
But I do know that even in the darkest hours, the Lord is still in control. His love is still there in abundance, comforting in the grieving, and strengthening the weak. I see His love most evidently in the midst of the blackest of nights. 
So, I pray, do not lose hope in your own darkest hour. Because nothing you can face in your darkest hour – even death itself – can overcome the love of Jesus Christ. 
He has already conquered it all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FINDING LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS - RACE REFLECTIONS

FINDING REFRESHMENT IN A BITTER WORLD

MAKE YOUR DAYS COUNT