HELP CARRY THE BURDEN


As I sat on the couch in my Fort Collins, CO apartment on the morning of September 11, 2001, watching the tragic events of the morning unfold, New York City and Washington, DC seemed like a world away. While I was as angered and grief-stricken as millions of others at the senseless loss of life, I never thought I imagined I would have a truly personal connection to the tragedy.
Fast forward a decade and a half. Through my involvement in various running organizations, I got to know and become good friends with someone who had volunteered at Ground Zero in the weeks and months following the terrorist attacks. For sake of a dear friend’s privacy, I don’t want to say too much more about their identity.
Through my friend, though, I came to know far more about the far-reaching effects of the tragedy than I ever could imagine. Even today, survivors and first responders who worked at Ground Zero continue to deal with serious health effects from dust and chemicals they were exposed to. The attacks continue to claim victims, even a decade and a half later, and the grief and loss that continue to be experienced by families and friends has not subsided.
And, as so many continue to deal with the sickness and grief this tragedy caused, it reminds me that no matter how far away a tragedy seems, no matter how separated we feel from the suffering and devastation endured by those hundreds or thousands of miles away, we are called to always be willing to share in the sufferings of others.
When others grieve, we are called to grieve with them. When they carry a heavy burden of hurt, we are to walk with them, and in tangible ways, help them to bear the burden of their journey. When we see suffering, our mission as believers is to take an active role, reaching out in compassion to ease their suffering.
We are never meant to be spectators to the hurting, or bystanders to a world desperately in need. We are to, instead, step into the arena with our brothers and sisters, arm in arm, willing to get our hands dirty and our feet muddy, to sweat and bleed alongside them as they fight their battles.
So if you see a brother or sister who is suffering today, do not just stand by and watch. Reach out a hand and be willing to walk with them in their suffering.
Because no one should fight the battle alone!

Prayer: Lord, thank you for those who have walked the road of suffering with me. Give me a heart ready and willing to share in the suffering of others, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FINDING LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS - RACE REFLECTIONS

FINDING REFRESHMENT IN A BITTER WORLD

MAKE YOUR DAYS COUNT