FINDING REFRESHMENT IN A BITTER WORLD

Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.” Ephesians 4:29, NLT
Most of my mornings start early – like, no daylight, crickets-still-chirping early – around, or often before, 5 a.m. If I’m still in bed at six, even on the weekends, you might want to check my pulse.
The pre-dawn hours before the day turns the wind-up crank on my energetic two year old daughter Makenzie is my time of refreshment and renewal. In those times, there are generally three constants – a pair of running shoes, multiple cups of coffee, and a camo-covered Bible.
By way of confession, sometimes there are too many cups of coffee and not enough time with an open Bible. With a hyper personality made significantly moreso by seemingly endless refills of java, finding the balance is not always easy.
Countless stresses that overload and overwhelm the already hectic pace of life. The morning news is filled with stories of grief, disaster and division. Angry words overflow many social media feeds. The to-do list always looks three or four hours longer than the hours I have to complete it.
With all of this facing me when, and often long before, I step out the door, the time God gives me with a His word, a cup of java, and a pair of well-worn running shoes is invaluable. The time of refreshment is crucial to start my day.
It is a refreshment we all need, and a refreshment Jesus tells us to offer to the world. There is enough darkness already in the world. His love demonstrated through our encouraging words and kind and selfless actions should bring new life to troubled spirits. It should not drag them further into the darkness and division.
So, when I decided to begin blogging again, spiritual refreshment is what I wanted to offer.
There are already too many voices of critique and criticism in the world, I hope to be the voice of encouragement, that sip of water in the desert.
Jesus said, “Anyone who is thirsty may come to me! Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare, ‘Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.’” (John 7:38b-39)
Does that mean I want to avoid difficult topics? Definitely not!
But even in the tough stuff, Scriptures are clear that we are to be the voices of hope and light, not of anger condemnation.
So, what I hope you find here in my words is refreshment, renewal and restoration. It is what His grace offers each lost and weary sinner, worn down by the worries of the world. It is what He has offered me, and it was I hope to offer you who take time out of your busy days to partake of this spiritual “cup of joe”.
So, please, feel free to come in, grab a cup of hope, and have a seat. Taste and see that the Lord is good, and breathe in the sweet aroma of God’s grace. Here, through the truth of His word, you’ll find hope when you’re lost, rest when you’re weary, and living water when you’re parched of life.
So, welcome to Java for the Spirit. May you always find your refreshment in the Lord.
Daniel Kiewel, affectionately known to those closest to him as D.J., is a man of many hats – husband, father, son, graphic artist, writer, runner, coach, but mostly as a Child of the Living God, saved alone by His Son, Jesus Christ. He can be reached at victory1712coachinggbks@gmail.com





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FINDING LIGHT IN THE DARKNESS - RACE REFLECTIONS

MAKE YOUR DAYS COUNT